Thursday, June 14, 2012

First Fight/First Kiss Blogfest Day 2

Today's the 2nd day of the First Fight/First Kiss Blogfest hosted by Dani @ Entertaining Interests and me.

Share your 1st KISS scene on your blog. It can be a peck on the cheek or a full fledge kissing session, whatever you want to share. Then make sure you visit the other blogs in the blogfest and give them some positive feedback. (Go HERE for more details about this blogfest.)
Dani and I will choose winners and post them early next week. By the awesome fight scenes that we've already read, we have our work cut out for us.



My 1st kiss scene will be from my current WIP, WISHFUL THINKING. It’s a YA urban fantasy, and I'm writing it from two POV's. Jagger is my male protag and Kara is my female protag.

**Please keep in mind -- this is in the rough stages and normally, my CP's only get to witness my work in this stage... a chaotic mess. But I decided to be vulnerable and share with you fine folks.**

WISHFUL THINKING excerpt from Jagger's POV


We head to the Ferris Wheel that almost touches the nighttime sky. Yellow, red, and blue lights flicker from it, like they’re competing with the stars above. The closer we get to the round ride, the more it looks like a hamster’s wheel—for a giant.

The line flows quickly, and when it’s our turn, we hand the ride attendant our tickets before taking a seat in a faded blue cart. The carnie pulls a black safety bar down to our laps then pushes on a lever like he’s shifting gears on a Mustang. Our cart floats backwards, letting on the next two victims.

Kara opens her bag of cotton candy and tears off a huge chunk. When she puts it to her lips, my own mouth waters.

“Would you like some?” She removes more pink fluff from the bag.

“Sure.” I grin.

We stare at each other as she pushes a piece into my mouth. I eagerly accept, licking my lips in appreciation.

The ride inches its way to the top then stops, giving us a perfect view of the carnival below. The wind’s stronger up here, which carries her vanilla scent that I crave along with it.

Our feet dangle like discarded puppets. She crosses her left ankle over her right and slips more cotton candy over her lips. I shiver, but it’s not from the breeze or this wobbly cart.

It’s because I want to kiss Kara. Now.

I scoot closer to her, which causes the cart to rock even more. She tilts her head toward mine, and I slide my thumb along her bottom lip, removing traces of sugar.

I’m at a loss here, not knowing if I should ask her for a kiss or just dive right in. What’s wrong with me? I’m acting like I’ve never kissed a girl before. Maybe it’s because I’m about to kiss someone that I actually care about.

I lean my forehead against hers. “Would you mind if I kissed you?”

“No,” she whispers.

“No, I can’t kiss you or no you don’t mind?” I realize I’m making this entire process difficult, but I don’t want to screw it up.

“No, I don’t mind.” She wraps her arms around my neck. “I want you to kiss me.”

My heart's beating so fast, it's like I just chugged a case of energy drinks.

I move my right hand to her cheek and close my eyes before touching my mouth to hers. Her warm lips mold to mine then part open, giving me consent to kiss her deeper. My tongue tangles with hers, and she lets out a soft moan. Or is that me? She tastes so good that I’m pretty sure if she hadn’t been eating cotton candy a few minutes ago, she’d still taste just as sweet.

“Finally,” she says against my lips.“I’ve been wanting to do that for a while now.”

“Me, too,” I say as I breathe her in.

I go to kiss her again, only my lips meet nothing but cool air. I open my eyes. Kara’s gone. Like M.I.A. gone. It’s like she was never even here with me, which I know she was because I can still taste her on my tongue.

My stomach jumps into my throat. Visions of her falling off this rickety piece of shit flip through my mind. I peer over the cart, praying like hell I don’t see her body on the ground.

If I killed Kara because of my stupid hormones, I won’t be able to live with myself.

Ever.


There you have it. Thanks for taking time to read it. Make sure you check out the other First Kiss excerpts for this blogfest.




43 comments:

  1. Loved both of your stories that you posted in this hop. Enjoyed reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I loved that, using the taste of the sugar allows you to include that sense without it simply being icky and gross! But seriously, where did she go? I need to know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What happened to her?! That was a really nice, sweet kiss - I love reading moments like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i loved this setting--so creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I want to know what happened too. I loved the Ferris wheel kiss & cotton candy. So sweet! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, what happened to her? How could you do that to us? Please tell us more.

    Great scene. Love the ferris wheel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. It's a main part in my WIP that I can't share yet.
      Thanks for reading! :)

      Delete
  7. Wow didn't see that ending coming! I wonder what happened to her? But that was a very sweet moment kiss-wise =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, his shivering moment was cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got that from my hubby. :) He said he did that with me. <3

      Delete
  9. Lovely kiss, but where did she go?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG I love this! Totally swoon-worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was a very sweet kiss, hehe. I love how he brushes the cotton candy from her lip first, and the great descriptions. It was a great idea to have their kiss be on a ferris wheel too. Im jealous, your CPs are very lucky to get to read your work!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww. You're so kind! I know, I know. I still need to email you explaining stuff. I will. Soon. For real. :)

      Delete
  12. Well that was an unexpected ending. Where has she gone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a main part in my WIP that I can't share just yet.
      Thanks for reading it!

      Delete
  13. So is it a dream and one woke up? Cause it sounds so romantic and sweet that it just had to be! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, it's not a dream. :)
      Thanks for reading it.

      Delete
  14. WHAT?! - Wow. I'm enjoying this lovely kiss when suddenly I'm hit with this: I go to kiss her again, only my lips meet nothing but cool air. I open my eyes. Kara’s gone. Like M.I.A. gone. It’s like she was never even here with me, which I know she was because I can still taste her on my tongue.

    What happened? Where did she go? I must know more!

    Excellent excerpt, very sweet and intense.

    I especially liked these lines:

    When she puts it to her lips, my own mouth waters.

    “Would you like some?”
    - I don't think his mouth is watering for cotton candy! ^_~

    My heart's beating so fast, it's like I just chugged a case of energy drinks. - brilliant metaphor.

    Really great stuff, thanks for sharing, and thanks for doing such a great job hosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your nice words about my excerpt! So very kind of you. :)

      Delete
  15. First kiss on a ferris wheel! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was such a sweet moment, until she was gone. That can wreck your confidence. Beautiful scene! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah! What?!? Where did she go??

    Loved the energy drink line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! :)
      Jagger's best friend chugs energy drinks like water so I thought it would be fitting to make that an analogy.

      Delete
  18. I loved this, it was so sweet and cute, and of course I want to know what happened to her!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You definitely had some great analogies in this one... my favorite was the feet dangling like puppets. And of course, I too want to know where she went! I'm leaning toward ghost, but I already know you're going to say we all have to wait to find out :-)

    Thank you for posting & hosting!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, she's not a ghost, but nice guess!
      Thanks for joining the blogfest and reading my work. :)

      Delete
  20. Ohmigosh, he inadvertently swallowed her!!! :-) I dig the carnival setting, Jackie - ever since watching The Lost Boys, I think, but probably before. Really enjoyed reading this, it was paced just right and I'm all goosebumpy, wondering what happened to the gal.

    Hey, I've nominated you for 1 - 3 awards! (You're eligible for all, but since they require some work on your part, I thought I'd let you pick the award of your choice.) Click here to go to my blog and claim it/them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL That'd be creative, but scary if he swallowed her. :D
      I love The Lost Boys!!!
      Thanks for the compliments and for reading my excerpt.

      Thank you, also, for the award! I'll go check it out. :)

      Delete

Comments make me happy. So do photos of Adam Levine... <3